Cosplay Costume Contest
Beginning on Saturday, August 19 at 4:00 PM CST, the costume contests will commence. Judging will start at 4:00 pm and winners will be presented on Stage at 6:00 PM CST.
There will be a specially selected panel of judges that select the winner(s) of the costume contest.
Instructions for entry
Registration forms can be downloaded off the website below or the contestant can pick up a form on the Webb Paranormal Group booth or the Webb Radio Network booth between the hours of 10:00 AM and 2:30 PM to sign up for the costume contest.
All contest registrations must be done no later than 2:30 PM on the day of the contest. After this time, there will be no late submissions accepted.
At the time of registration, you must be in full costume!! For the purposes of judging, your photo will be taken when you complete the registration process.
The following contest categories are available:
Cosplay Contest (Child 1-12 years old) $10
This category is for contestants up to 10 years of age. (Must be in the presence of a parent or legal guardian at the time of registration). The top three entrants will win a prize.
Cosplay Contest (Teen 13-19 yr old) $10
This category is for contestants 13 years old to 19 years old. The top three entrants will win a prize.
Cosplay Contest (Adult) $10
This category is for Adult contestants to show off their skills in cosplay costuming. The top three entrants will win a prize.
Each costume entry will be judged on its artistry–execution, design, construction and overall presentation. The top three contestant entries will receive a trophy and 1st place will have the honor of being called back as a special guest at our next event–in addition to receiving a monetary prize award!
- The costume must be a minimum of 60% handcrafted by the entrant presenting it. A costume that does not meet this qualification (store bought or otherwise purchased) will not meet the requirements of the category for craftsmanship.
- The designer of each costume is allowed to have someone else model the costume during the competition. However, in this instance, the designer needs to be on location during the judging. The owner/designer of said costume will take credit for, and be presented with any awards earned.
- It is forbidden to present a costume that has previously been awarded in any prior costume contests.
Rules of Cosplay
- When in any areas of the convention center that are considered to be public areas, shoes are mandatory. Even if the character of cosplay is barefoot, the portrayer of the character is required to have shoes on.
- In no way is it acceptable for a costume to expose the body in any manner deemed indecent. Per the venue guidelines, a shirt must be worn accordingly. It must be PG-13.
- Any costume worn inside the convention center will have to fit through a standard doorway. If an entrant is wearing a costume that is too bulky or impairs one’s visibility, it is required they have an escort to assist maneuverability. In addition, to avert heat exhaustion or stroke, ensure adequate ventilation within the confines of a bulky costume. No sharp, pointed edges are allowed on objects utilized during cosplays.
- Contestants are not permitted to use real weapons– absolutely no guns, bats, or real swords will be tolerated! Instead, opt to use an alternative material that is safer– plastic or foam makes excellent props.
- Absolutely no prop or costume shall generate any fog, fire, smoke, or odors.
- Upon registration, security will be checking in all cosplay props and verify their safety.
- Every prop that is allowed inside the convention center will be peace bonded by security and verified to be non-operational. All attendees of the event are to be responsible for and verify they have read and agreed to all policies and rules as they have been outlined.
- Violation of this peace bonding requirement will result in the immediate prop loss of privileges.
- Absolutely NO props are allowed with functioning projectile parts.
- Should your prop be deemed unsafe or dangerous by security, you will not be permitted to bring it inside the convention center.
- You are forbidden to point, brandish, run with, play-fight, or utilize your props in any manner that appears threatening to others.
- It is grounds for immediate dismissal from the convention and loss of privileges to conduct any inappropriate camera (photographing or videography). Penalties include possible revocation sans refund.
- You may take photographs of the cosplayer (upon prior approval by said person). If you ask first, many cosplayers are eager to oblige any photograph requests.
- In an attempt to guard the safety of everyone in attendance, these rules may be altered or modified as required.
Questions about the costume contest rules and registration may be addressed to the costume contest coordinator; include “Costume Contest” in the subject line and email Deepsouthparacomicon@gmail.com
If you wish to check on the status of your registration, please allow fourteen (14) days after emailing your entry. Please place “DSPCC Costume Contest Enquiry” in the subject line and email Deepsouthparacomicon@gmail.com.
In an attempt to guard the safety of everyone in attendance, these rules may be altered or modified as required.
The most important rule of all is to HAVE FUN!! ~~ DON’T BE A SCHMUCK!!